The workblog of the Stock*pile Comics collective.
~ Friday, May 4 ~
Permalink
I’m not so much catching up as staying steadily 2 or 3 weeks behind schedule at this point. And yes, I know I skipped Broken Legacy, but that piece is coming down the pipeline.
Until the New 52, the only Swamp Thing I’d read were 3 issues of the Andy Diggle series which I bought for the Richard Corben art and any of his appearances in Hellblazer over the years (most of which I’ve read). I am reading the new series, but I tend to dislike as many issues of that book as I like. I’m having a real problem figuring out what kind of a book and what kind of a character Swamp Thing is supposed to be. In the New 52 it seems as though Scott Snyder and company are trying to turn him into a superhero, which I don’t believe he was ever intended to be. Personally, I prefer him as the bizarre, mythical figure who just pops up from time to time when he’s needed or disturbed in the Hellblazer universe. Y’know…before DC snatched John Constantine away from Vertigo to turn him into a superhero.
*shakes head*
Anyway, I like Swamp Thing on paper, but I know very little about him other than he looks cool. About 20% of me would like to go back and read the acclaimed Alan Moore era Swamp Thing series, but the other 80% of me knows that it’ll be trippy with lots of over-wordy caption boxes going on at length about the inner turmoil that poor Swampy must endure on a daily basis, which is not a brand of comics that I have historically enjoyed (see: Sandman, Marvel/Miracleman, etc.). So I’ll make due with the current New 52 series until I grow tired of it (aaaany day now…) and that’ll be that.
…I would like to revisit the live-action Swamp Thing movie, though.
So, this sketch is noteworthy for being the first thing I’ve ever drawn that I’m at least marginally happy with which I didn’t pencil before going in with the inks. That’s right, I went straight from a blank piece of paper to my Pitt Pens, and I even used a brush pen! Look at me facing my artistic fears and insecurities all at once. The fact that there’s even a semblance of a decent composition is a miracle of the modern day world. As for Swampy himself, I didn’t bother referencing him at all. I knew that I wanted to make him creepy and less human-like than he normally appears, so I just kept that weird A-shaped thing that goes around his mouth and made up the rest on the fly.
It could be better, but I kind of like it.
Drawn on 8.5x11” bristol, inked with Pitt Pens and Sharpies, touched up with a white gel pen, and turned green in Photoshop for that murky, swamp-ish look we all so desire.
- Rian

I’m not so much catching up as staying steadily 2 or 3 weeks behind schedule at this point. And yes, I know I skipped Broken Legacy, but that piece is coming down the pipeline.

Until the New 52, the only Swamp Thing I’d read were 3 issues of the Andy Diggle series which I bought for the Richard Corben art and any of his appearances in Hellblazer over the years (most of which I’ve read). I am reading the new series, but I tend to dislike as many issues of that book as I like. I’m having a real problem figuring out what kind of a book and what kind of a character Swamp Thing is supposed to be. In the New 52 it seems as though Scott Snyder and company are trying to turn him into a superhero, which I don’t believe he was ever intended to be. Personally, I prefer him as the bizarre, mythical figure who just pops up from time to time when he’s needed or disturbed in the Hellblazer universe. Y’know…before DC snatched John Constantine away from Vertigo to turn him into a superhero.

*shakes head*

Anyway, I like Swamp Thing on paper, but I know very little about him other than he looks cool. About 20% of me would like to go back and read the acclaimed Alan Moore era Swamp Thing series, but the other 80% of me knows that it’ll be trippy with lots of over-wordy caption boxes going on at length about the inner turmoil that poor Swampy must endure on a daily basis, which is not a brand of comics that I have historically enjoyed (see: Sandman, Marvel/Miracleman, etc.). So I’ll make due with the current New 52 series until I grow tired of it (aaaany day now…) and that’ll be that.

…I would like to revisit the live-action Swamp Thing movie, though.

So, this sketch is noteworthy for being the first thing I’ve ever drawn that I’m at least marginally happy with which I didn’t pencil before going in with the inks. That’s right, I went straight from a blank piece of paper to my Pitt Pens, and I even used a brush pen! Look at me facing my artistic fears and insecurities all at once. The fact that there’s even a semblance of a decent composition is a miracle of the modern day world. As for Swampy himself, I didn’t bother referencing him at all. I knew that I wanted to make him creepy and less human-like than he normally appears, so I just kept that weird A-shaped thing that goes around his mouth and made up the rest on the fly.

It could be better, but I kind of like it.

Drawn on 8.5x11” bristol, inked with Pitt Pens and Sharpies, touched up with a white gel pen, and turned green in Photoshop for that murky, swamp-ish look we all so desire.

- Rian

Tags: Swamp Thing
18 notes
  1. little-crimson-egg reblogged this from stockpilecomics
  2. meowthra reblogged this from retazosdered
  3. hydrothunder reblogged this from retazosdered
  4. retazosdered reblogged this from megatrip
  5. megatrip reblogged this from weirdandpissedoff
  6. weirdandpissedoff reblogged this from stockpilecomics and added:
    Uhhh…week 16, I believe?
  7. stockpilecomics posted this